Dental Cosmetics or Cosmetic Dentistry or Aesthetic Dentistry is a dental procedure that is primarily targeted for improvement of the structure of teeth and enhancing a person’s smile. Although it is an elective procedure it does require a thorough understanding of dentition and expertise over dental materials.
What Can a Cosmetic Dental Procedure do for You?
A Cosmetic Dental Procedure can be helpful for:
- Replacement of missing teeth
- Teeth Whitening
- Teeth Reshaping
- Restoring Damaged Teeth
- Lengthening teeth that are short
- Straightening teeth that are crooked or misaligned
Types of Cosmetic Dental Procedures
Here is a look at the different dental procedures that you can try out today.
- Whitening or Bleaching: It is the most common cosmetic dental procedure. Teeth get discolored due to smoking, use of medication or coffee, and tea. Several people like to get the stains off their teeth while some just want their teeth to get an extra shade whiter.
- Composite Bonding: It is a procedure done for improving the appearance of chipped or cracked teeth to fill the gap between them. It makes use of teeth-colored bonding materials for filling the cavities or for protecting the exposed root.
- Veneers: Veneers are typically porcelain shells that are bonded to the surface of the teeth. It lasts longer than bonding and corrects chips and gaps in teeth or improves the appearance of teeth worn out by severe staining.
- Crowns: They are used for covering the tooth and restoring its normal shape and appearance. They are made of metal, or porcelain fused with resin, metal or other ceramic materials. It is used as a last resort when other procedures cannot produce a satisfactory result.
- Dental Implants: These are used for compensating the loss of the tooth by implantation of prosthetics ie artificial tooth replacements. Missing teeth can cause the face to collapse and make you look older. Implants add a youthful appearance and enhance the smile.
- Inlays and Onlays: These are indirect fillings that are made of porcelain or composite materials and are used in case of tooth decays or any such structural damage. Fillings that are applied to the inside of the tooth are called inlays and those that are applied to the biting surface are called Onlays.
- Contouring and Reshaping: When teeth are overlapped or crooked or irregular or if there are bite problems contouring can correct them. It removes or contours the dental enamel after evaluating the size and location of the pulp and making sure there is enough bone for support.
Apart from these procedures there are several procedures like Cosmetic Gum Surgery, Orthodontic Alignment, and Bridgework which are prescribed by cosmetic dentists as per your requirement.
Cosmetic Dental Procedures can bring a welcome enhancement to your smile and improve your looks, confidence and self-esteem. Before you opt of cosmetic procedures you will need to make sure that the dentist has a good track record of performing the procedures and is taking continuing education to keep himself updated with the latest procedures.